Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Lost in Translation


I FOUND IT!!!! (See previous post about the grocery store) It is a good thing that the airline gave me a dopp kit with all of the essentials in it on the way over here. If you ever get the chance to fly Emirates Airlines, take it!
So I spent the day at a client site today because we just issued a survey to help assess their HR function. It was a very interesting day. The survey was in English and was intended for use in the U.S. Call me ignorant (I suppose that is part of why I am doing this whole thing), but I was really surprised at some of the questions that I got. One guy approached me (very politely) and said, "We are not Shakespeare." Meaning that the language that we were using was not easy to understand. This guy had a Ph. D, so I doubt that he was the cause of the problem here. Bottom line, I guess this just serves as an eye opening experience. I am happy to report that my company is coming out with a survey very soon that is in Arabic, so that is promising.
Another funny story. This one was from last night, and I wish that I had the picture to go with it, but I didn't think of it until it was too late. So I went to a "burger joint" last night (one of my missions is to not eat at the same place twice). This place was an open air kind of place that I would almost equate to a permanent street vendor. For my dinner, I got a chicken tikka burger with fries and a fresh squeezed pineapple juice. It was really good and quite spicy. So as I am turning to leave, I see a picture that they have on the wall with all of their food on it. I immediately focused my attention to the picture of the sub sandwich with a white meat, lettuce, tomato, mayo and mustard. Underneath, in giant letters, read the following:
"Turkish Breast Sandwich"
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I almost lost it right there. I don't know if it was something in the pineapple juice or if I was just tickled for whatever reason, but I thought that was really funny.

1 comment:

littlemt said...

I don't think many people appreciate the trials and tribulations incurred while shopping for deoderant overseas. While in Cape Town I found myself on a two week hunt to locate a cure for my ever-growing funk. Of course my luck would have it that when I finally did locate some smell-sticks they were of limited variety with names like "African Amber" (gag). So, congrats on the Speed Stick my friend. I hope you bought a couple.